Do you know the German classic dessert Bienenstich? This sour dessert is characterised by a delicious vanilla filling and a top full of crunchy caramelised almond pieces. This time I made it without eggs and in cake form.
- 500 g flour 20 g fresh yeast + 1 tbsp caster sugar for sourdough
- 250ml oat milk (or other vegetable milk)
- 50g melted margarine
- 2 tbsp sugar pinch of salt
- 100g almond chips
- 2PL caster sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut fat
- 2 tbsp vegetable whipped cream
- 400ml oat milk (or other vegetable milk)
- 1 packet vanilla custard powder
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 125g margarine
- 3 tbsp SanApart (vegan whipped cream thickener)
- 200 ml vegetable whipped cream
- JFirst prepare the sourdough starter. To do this, crumble the yeast into a bowl, sprinkle it with sugar, stir and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add , sourdough starter, salt, vegetable milk, margarine and salt and sugar.
- Knead ca. 10 minutes until a nice elastic dough is formed.
- Process immediately. Stretch or roll it out to the size of the cake tin (mine was 26cm in diameter) and then place it in the greased tin.
- Cover the dough and leave it to rest for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the almond layer. For this, heat the coconut fat, sugar and whipping cream in a saucepan. When all items are liquid add the almond chips, stir and let cool.
- You can also prepare the base for the filling. To do this, heat 350 ml of vegetable milk in a saucepan.
- Mix the sugar, vanilla sugar and custard powder in the remaining milk. When the milk in the saucepan comes to the boil, add the mixture and stir until a thick custard forms.
- Leave to cool completely.
- When the dough is risen, spread the almond chips evenly on top of the dough. Then leave the dough at 200C approx. 35 minutes until golden.
- Let the dough cool and then cut it in half. Place a cake hoop around the bottom part.
- Make the filling. For this, beat the margarine at room temperature and gradually add the cooled custard as well as 1 tablespoon worth of SanApart. Whisk until a thick filling is formed. Spread this evenly over the bottom of the pastry.
- Finally, whip the vegetable whipping cream together with 2 tbsp SanApart and the vanilla sugar until stiff.
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the filling, spread evenly and then weigh it down with the top part of the dough.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours