If you like coconut, you’ll love these cuts. They are beautifully soft and the top filling creates a great contrast to the sweet sponge cake with its slight acidity. I made mine in a smaller baking dish (20*30) if you want to make a large baking dish, make double the quantity. Use a 250ml cup to measure the quantity.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (sunflower)
- 1 cup flour (plain or semi-coarse)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 packet baking powder
- 1 packet (200g) coconut yoghurt (high fat Greek yoghurt if you can’t find it)
- 1 packet (200g) sour cream
- 1 packet (250g) mascarpone cheese
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cup coconut (+1 cup for garnish)
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until frothy. Add the oil and beat until fluffy and frothy.
- Add sifted flour, baking powder as well as coconut and work into a smooth batter.
- Line a baking tin with baking paper and pour the batter into it.
- Bake at 160C for 30-35 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. For this, mix together the coconut yoghurt, sour cream, mascarpone and sugar in a bowl. When everything is combined, add more coconut and stir to combine.
- Spread the filling over the cooled dough and fold in. Sprinkle the top of the cake with more coconut, or sprinkle with pistachios or dried strawberries. Serve immediately.