This French cake is very simple to prepare. Unlike a quiche or tarte, which are characterised by their perfect pastry edges, the edges of a galette are just folded over the fruit without any attempt at perfectionism. This gives it its traditional irregular shape.
- 250g flour
- 100g room temperature margarine
- 1 tbsp ground linseed
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 10-12 pcs juicy dates
- Hot water
- 2 apples
- 1 vanilla sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Apricot marmalade for glaze
- Make fake caramel from the dates. The detailed procedure can be found here- https://recepis.sk/2022/02/27/nepravy-karamel-bez-cukru/
- Next, make an egg substitute using flax seeds and water. The detailed procedure for this can be found here- https://recepis.sk/2022/02/20/recept-vajec
- Mix flour, butter, salt, powdered sugar and puffed seeds in a bowl and make a smooth dough. Flour a work surface and roll out the dough into a circle.
- Transfer the circle of dough to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Peel the apples, cut out the insides and slice into thin slices. Drizzle the apple slices with lemon juice and sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Toss.
- Spread the caramel over the dough so that the edges ca. 2-3 cm without filling. Place the apple slices on top of the caramel.
- Then fold the edges of the pastry over to cover some of the apples. Leave to bake at 180C for approx. 35 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the galette briefly from the oven, brush the pastry and apples with the marmalade and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes to make a beautiful glossy glaze.
- Once baked, remove from the oven, allow to cool and then dust with icing sugar.