4 December, 2021
Yeast cakes with curd cheese and cranberries
Sourdough has a wide variety of uses. One of my favourites is making it sweet, in this case as Moravian cakes with lemon-flavoured cheesecake filling and cranberry jam. The result is hearty and beautifully aromatic cakes.
- 500g flour
- 20g fresh yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar for leaven
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g butter
- 250ml milk
- 1 egg yolk for spreading
- 250g soft curd cheese
- 5tsp caster sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- Lemon zest
- Cranberry marmalade
- Crumble the yeast into a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Stir well with a spoon and let rest covered for 10 minutes to form leaven.
- Heat the milk, add the butter and sugar and stir until the butter and sugar have melted. Leave to cool.
- Add the sourdough starter, salt, slightly warm milk with sugar and butter to the flour.
- Knead for at least 10 minutes until a smooth dough forms. Let it rise, covered, for an hour.
- Then divide the dough into ca. 12 equal sized pieces, which you shape into a circle with your hands, place on a floured work surface.
- Cover the dough again and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. For this, mix the cottage cheese with the icing sugar and freshly grated lemon zest.
- Place the individual pieces of pastry on a baking sheet lined with baking paper (make sure to keep the cakes well apart as they will rise during baking).
- Then make a small depression in each piece of pastry. I used a small bowl that I pressed into the dough.
- Put 1 tablespoon of filling in each depression and top with 1 teaspoon of jam in the center.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with more egg yolk and bake at 200°C for about 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Finally, decorate each cake with fresh cranberries