A classic German dessert, this time with a little variation in the filling, which I enriched with coconut milk and cottage cheese, which gave it a great fresh aroma and lightness.
For the dough you need:
- 4 eggs
- 100ml oil
- 100ml strong espresso coffee
- 30g cocoa powder
- 170g flour
- 1/2 baking powder
- 150g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
In addition you need:
- 1 bottle of preserved cherries/cherries
- 250ml cherry juice
- 1 red cake jelly or 40g cornstarch
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 700g soft custard
- 250g mascarpone
- 150ml thick coconut milk (from the can)
- 2 packets of clear gelatine (per 1l of liquid) + 2PL water
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- Cocoa and chocolate chunks for decoration
- Cherry marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and whisk until stiff and frothy. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until foamy. Gradually add the oil while whisking.
- Then add sifted flour and cocoa, baking powder and cooled coffee. Stir.
- Finally, add the egg white, which is carefully folded into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a rectangular baking tin and let it bake at 160C for approx. 35 min. Allow to cool and place a pastry hoop around the sponge cake.
- Brush the pastry with cherry jam.
- Drain the cherries of their juice and measure out 250ml of this.
- Add the sugar and jelly (or starch) to the juice, stir and then heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, spread the cherries over the marmalade.
- Then pour the gelatine over the marmalade and leave to set for approx. half an hour in the refrigerator. In the meantime, in a bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, coconut milk, cream cheese, powdered as well as vanilla sugar.
- Pour the gelatin into a mug along with a little water. Let the pot heat for a minute and whisk the gelatin until it gets a liquid form. Add a teaspoonful of the filling and stir. Then pour in the remaining filling and mix well.
- Spread the filling on top of the set cherry mixture and align.
- Sprinkle the top with cocoa or chocolate chips. Leave to set in a cool place for 2-4 hours.