Traditional Christmas pastries in a combination of tasty buttery pastry and traditionally strawberry jam. The preparation goes very easily and quickly with a few tricks. A good recipe also for baking together with children.
Ingredients (for 3 baking sheets, approx. 90 pieces):
- 3 egg yolks
- 350g plain flour
- 250g (cold) butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- Strawberry marmalade
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla sugar until foamy.
- Add the cold butter cut into pieces, salt and flour and work into a smooth dough with your hands. Since you are working with cold butter, you don’t have to let the dough set, but you can work with it right away.
- Take small pieces of the dough with your hands and form them into small balls about the size of a large hazelnut.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. If the dough sticks to your hands, just grease them lightly with oil.
- Then make a small hole in each ball with the handle of a fork.
- I have found it works well to fill a disposable pastry bag with jam. That way it goes easily, quickly and most importantly, cleanly.
- Spoon a little marmalade into each prepared hole.
- Then let the cookies bake for approx. 10-15 minutes at 180C until golden.
- Sprinkle the finished angel eyes with icing sugar and serve.