Super simple dessert. The buttery dough is without yeast or baking powder and tastes like butter biscuits. The apple filling with cinnamon flavour just melts on the tongue. Easy baking recipe.
- 125ml water
- 125g room temperature vegetable fat (e.g. coconut)
- 350g plain flour
- 30g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5-6 apples
- 50 g coarse sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Whole almonds (16pcs)
- Pour the water into the bowl, add the sugar, salt and stir. Gradually add the flour and butter and work into a smooth, non-sticky dough.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, peel and coarsely grate the apples. Place these in a saucepan with the sugar, vanilla sugar, cinnamon and water. Let cook for 10 minutes in a covered pot over medium heat.
- Roll the dough out thin and divide the dough into 16 equal squares.
- Place 1 tablespoon of apple filling on each piece of dough so that it is in the middle and does not go all the way to the edge of the dough. Then fold the edges of the dough over and towards the centre and place the almond there (see video).
- Place the prepared dough on the baking sheet with the spacing.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated oven at 180C until golden.
- Finally, sprinkle the still hot rolls with icing sugar.