19 December, 2021
Nut meringues with nuttela cream
One very tasty use of leftover egg whites from Christmas baking is to make these nutty meringues. I processed almonds, but they are also delicious with walnuts or hazelnuts. The filling is a blend of nutella flavour with coffee flavour and complements the nutty flavour of the laskonki fantastically.
- 3 egg whites
- 80g sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 200g ground almonds
- 50g chopped almonds
- 100g room temperature soft butter
- 3 tbsp nutella
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Put the egg whites and sugar in a stainless steel bowl and set the bowl over the saucepan. Stir with a whisk over the heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove the egg whites from the steam and beat with a mixer for about 5 more minutes until stiff.
- Add the grated and chopped nuts. Stir in the egg whites just slightly.
- There are special moulds for the meringues, which later make them the same round or elliptical shape. I don’t have one of those, so I used a dolly mould. Those who don’t have one at home can shape the circles using a pastry bag. The only important thing is that they have the same shape and, if possible, the same thickness.
- Bake only 5 minutes in a preheated oven at 180C, do not open the oven (alternatively 10 minutes if you have not preheated the oven). Then turn off the oven and let them finish cooling completely.
- Remove from the tin when they are cool as they are still crisp when hot and could break.
- For the cream, put the butter, Nutella, icing sugar and instant coffee in a bowl. Whisk until the ingredients are combined.
- Using a pastry bag, spread the filling on one lasagna and press the other lasagna on top.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the filling to set and combine well with the biscuits.