Beautiful, delicate meringues are heaven in your mouth. Their result depends mainly on the right technique and following a few tricks. It’s also a great recipe for using up leftover egg whites from Christmas baking. I bake them as the last baking sheet, so they have plenty of time to dry while the oven slowly cools.
Ingredients for 20 pcs:
- 3 egg whites
- 100g sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 100g chocolate chips
- 100g chopped almonds (or other nuts)
- (Small candies for decoration)
- Place the egg whites in a bowl with the sugar and beat on high speed for at least 5 minutes until the snow has a stiff sticky consistency and makes “peaks”.
- Towards the end of the beating, add the lemon juice. Then add the chocolate chips and almonds and mix in slow movements to the egg white foam.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out dollops and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Those who wish may decorate the surface with small candies.
- Baking is the most important part of the preparation. Bake for only 5 minutes in a preheated oven at 180C (do not open the oven while doing this), then turn off the oven and let them finish baking until the oven has cooled completely.
- This will ensure they stay nice and white and are crisp and beautifully dry on the inside.